Monday, January 24, 2011

The Demon Girl


The Demon Girl 
Penelope Fletcher
ebook, Smashwords, 191 pages
Published October 7th 2010
Free on Smashwords 




Rae Wilder has problems. Plunged into a world of dark magic, fierce creatures and ritual sacrifice, she is charged with a guarding a magical amulet. Rae finds herself beaten up, repeatedly, and forced to make a choice: to live and die human, or embrace her birth-right and wield magics that could turn her into something wicked, a force of nature nothing can control. 

The Demon Girl is worth your time. I'll come right out and say the flaws now. The editing in this read is not very good. There are misspellings, grammar mistakes, and the like but not to the point where it takes away from the story. I believe that the editing is so poor because of the fact that it is an ebook on smashwords and just needs to be put into the hands of someone to do the work. When I read I get caught up in the characters so its not something I linger on. What really made this story work is how interesting the mix is between fairy, demon, witch, and vampire. The connection that Rae has with both her newly founded fairy companion and a vampire kept me reading past all the editing issues. I enjoyed Rae as a strong female character and had no problem relating to her. I will be looking forward to Penelope Fletcher's next installment in this series which should be out around September of this year.

I give this book 3 out of 5 book geeks.



No comments: