Friday, September 17, 2010

Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick


AmazonHush, Hush
Author's WebsiteBecca Fitzpatrick
GoodreadsHush, Hush Reviews

For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along. 
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel. 
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.
I didn't like this book at first. It took me until about Chapter 17 to really start to like the characters and the book has 30 chapters total. The part that turned me off about the characters at first is how it was so "secretive" about Patch being a fallen angel, but it was so obvious. I really love the cover, but I think it gives way too much away about Patch. Obviously we knew he was going to end up being an angel or a fallen angel just by the look of the cover and the "subtle" hints about him being a fallen angel were not very subtle. When the moment came for Nora to find out that he was a fallen angel it was anti-climatic and fell flat for me. 

With that being said, I loved Patch from Chapter 17 forward. He was more mysterious once we found out what he was and even more dangerous and sexy when Nora touched his scars and was able to see more about Patch. I became interested in the lore behind Fitzpatrick's ideas about where Patch came from and even more interested in The Book of Enoch and the other angels. The end of the book was action packed and kept my heart thumping. I wasn't sure how the book was going to end and I liked that.

My only complaints is that up until Chapter 17 the story was dragging its feet, but after that it really opened up and I can't wait to see what happens in the next book, Crescendo

I give this book four out of five stars, from Chapter 17 to Chapter 30. 


No comments: