Thursday, September 23, 2010

Film & Literature

I always knew that film scripts and storyboards held some weight in the literature world, but I never took it very seriously. I absolutely love movies and I've always been aware of the amount of writing involved in a script, but it didn't occur to me how a film is so much like a book. Rather, I knew subconsciously and have missed out on a depth to the media that I have come to realize I have taken for granted. What brought it on? 


Well, I began a Film & Literature class this semester. I registered for a Literature class that was just a general survey of literature and when I showed up for class the teacher passed out a syllabus that said Film & Lit at the top. I find out that the class I registered for was full and the college decided to put me in the next thing that had the word literature in it. On the first day of class we watched an indie film called The Butterfly Circus and the other students were so dramatic and over the top that I didn't think I was going to be able to handle it. No other lit classes were available so I decided to stick it out and I'm glad I did!!


I am beginning to learn a lot more about the storytelling process and how so many little things in a story can change an entire movie/book. It really applies to any type of storytelling, not only movies and books but short stories and anything else that uses a storyboard. 


So with that being said I plan to document a couple of things here that I have learned and will learn in the next couple of months in regards to literature in film.


First up: Casablanca



No comments: