Friday, August 27, 2010

Follow Friday and Blog Hop!


Book Blogger Hop by Crazy-For-Books.com
Follow Friday by Parajunkee

It's Friday again everyone! Something that is brilliant about this Friday for me is that today marks the first day of me having Fridays off of work for the next six months! Woohoo!! Now I'm going to wish that Thursday would get here soon, hmph. ;P 

I want to say thank you to everyone who is following and welcome any new followers. I am so amazed by how strong the book blog community is on blogger and I am so happy that I can be a part of it!! The lovely Parajunkee  has featured me for this Friday's Follow Friday and I cannot be any more honored! So I want to welcome anyone to my little nook here on the interwebs, feel free to link me to your own blog and I am more than happy to check it out. =] 

The Follow Friday question is: 

 What is the first book that you remember reading?

There are quite a few, but the one that stands out as being the very first is Where The Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak. I also loved loved loved The Very Hungry Catapillar by Eric Carle and my first YA book was The Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause and also happened to be my first encounter with vampires. Soon after I found Anne Rice and here I am today! I am very eclectic and will read almost any genre. 

The Book Blogger Hop question is:

Do you use a rating system for your reviews and if so, what is it and why?

Currently my rating system is in the same format that my personal book journal [yes, the paper kind teehee I'm a dork, I know] has always been. I write what I felt about the book as an experience and comment on what intrigued, inspired, or otherwise emotionally or mentally made an impression on me. Then, after doing that, on a scale of one to five, with one being the lowest and five being the highest, I think about the book as a WHOLE. Would I read it again, would I tell someone it is worth buying or just getting at the library? Is it worth how long it took to read? Did I love the characters and the plot? I give the book the rating, and then explain in further detail on a book by book basis why I gave it that.

What that looks like:
1 Book Geek: I couldn't get through the book.
2 Book Geeks: I thought it was mediocre. Nothing to see here, keep moving. 
3 Book Geeks: It was an average read. Not bad, not amazing.
4 Book Geeks: It was above average and was amazing!
5 Book Geeks: This book exceed my expectations and is a MUST read. 

I rate my books this way because for me the content of the book is more important than the rating itself. Ratings are so subjective based upon the person, so I think that actually reading the review and getting a sense of how it made you feel or think. Over time, my rating system may change but for now I like it this way and I hope it makes sense, if anyone has suggestions or feedback I am definitely open eared!  =]

No comments: