Saturday, August 21, 2010

Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin

Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Hardcover: 400 pages
  • Publisher: Dial (September 7, 2010)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0803733720
  • ISBN-13: 978-0803733725

Amazon:Extraordinary
Goodreads:Extraordinary
Author's Page:Nancy Werlin






*SLIGHT SPOILER ALERT*


Back Cover:
Phoebe finds herself drawn to Mallory, the strange and secretive new kid in school, Soon the two girls are as close as sisters...until Mallory's magnetic older brother, Ryland, appears. Ryland has an immediate, exciting hold on Phoebe - but a dangerous hold, for she begins to question her feelings about her best friend and, worse, about herself.


Soon she'll discover the shocking, fantastical truth about Ryland and Mallory, and about an age-old debt they expect Phoebe to pay. Will she be strong enough to resist? Will she be special enough to save herself?


Review:
Nancy Werlin takes us on an exciting and puzzling ride with Extraordinary. From the first page I knew that that there were faeries involved, but the plot took me on a subtle realization that these faeries don't play nice! I must begin by saying, "Bravo Nancy!" The plot was completely unpredictable for me. After every Faerie Queen conversation I wondered, what do they want with Phoebe? Why are they talking like something absolutely terrible is happening to them? I love stories that have me asking questions and wondering what could be going on. I loved the way the story could have turned in any direction through a majority of the book. It kept me engaged and wanting to continue to read, even during the wee hours in the morning when I should have been sleeping...oops! I read the book in two days, which would have been one day if I didn't have to go to work. I couldn't put it down!


My favorite character would have to be Mallory. Despite what is going on to her people, she just can't bring herself to do exactly what the Faerie Queen asks of her. She is a dynamic character who is more than she appears to be and when her brother Ryland steps in and causes conflict, Mallory displays her true compassion. She even tries to warn Phoebe, but Rylan's spell on Phoebe causes her to mistake the warning as an insult. 


I enjoyed how Nancy Werlin took a real life family, the Rothschild family, and created a fictional story that involved faeries. It was interesting to learn about the heritage of the family and how extraordinary they were to be able to make something from nothing. Phoebe had to find out for herself what friendship and  being extraordinary actually means, as it turns out, we are all extraordinary to someone! I will be adding this book on my bookshelf on September 7th!


By the way, I LOVE this cover! It's just as mysterious as the plot. I also don't understand why there are so many negative reviews for this book as personally, I loved it and would recommend it. I didn't have any issues with the ending, I thought it was beautiful. 


I give this book five out of five book geeks.





No comments: