Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book Review: ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley


ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley 

Sample from Chapter 1:
Charlotte Usher headed purposefully across the parking lot to the front doors of Hawthorne High, repeating her positive mantra - "This year is different. This is my year." Instead of being forever etched in her classmate's high school memories as the girl who just took up space, the seat filler, the one who sucked up precious air that could be put to better use, she was going to start off this year on the other foot, a foot with the hottest, most uncomfortable shoes that money could buy.















Now I lay me down to sleep.
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
And if I should die before I awake.
I pray the popular to attend my wake.



Charlotte Usher is a girl that many girls in high school feel like they can relate to. She is unpopular and feels invisible. She spends the entire summer working on renovating herself to look like a part of the popular crowd which mainly consists of the Wendys and Petula, the obnoxious version of Cher from Clueless. Charlotte's goal is to be with Damen who happens to be Petula's boyfriend. She chokes and dies on a gummy bear and is reincarnated as a ghost and meets up with other dead teenagers such as Piccalo Pam who accidentally swallowed a piccalo and Call Me Kim who died from radiation from having a cell phone constantly glued to ear. 


This was a light read and didn't have much depth, but it was occasionally funny and despite my high school traumatic memories I am very glad that I wasn't also a ghost trying to get through high school. It is hard enough not being accepted for who you are, but add on being a ghost that can't pass on after death!? I found Charlotte annoying for most of the time because she was always pining and whining about Damen, but despite that it was annoying it is true! As teenage girls we tend to get a crush and go wild, thinking that we are hopelessly in love with someone and that is all we think about. I can't speak for everyone, but I know this happened to me!


My favorite character is definitely Scarlet, she has an attitude that even someone who is not a teenager can learn from. She is who she is and accepts that, she doesn't try to be anyone else. Petula, the popular one, happens to be her sister and despite that she is her own person! I loved that about her and felt that Damen and Scarlet were a much better fit for one another than Damen and Charlotte. 


Another thing I liked about this book was the design of the book itself. The cover is absolutely cute and the pages are lined in silver. Throughout the pages there are pink and black designs across the top and bottom and at the beginning of each chapter there are quotes from such celebrities and bands like Evanescene, R.E.M and Lou Reed. It adds an extra touch to the chapters, giving you a sort of heads up about the mood of the next chapter.


Overall I would say this is a good light read. You are definitely curious to find out what will happen to Charlotte and Scarlet and the revenge on Petula is definitely sweet. This is almost like a more girly version of Casper the Friendly Ghost and if it is ever turned into an animated TV show I would probably like it more. 


I give this book three out of five book geeks.













No comments: